We headed to Kaikoura for our last stop on the South Island hoping to go whale watching and maybe even swim with the wild dusky dolphins they have in the waters there. However, the weather was not our friend and a small cyclone hit the north-east side of the North Island - directly above us! This meant that we couldn't get out on the water, so instead we went to the cinema and watched the most bizarre film that I have ever seen, called Winter's Tale. I don't recommend it!
As we left Kaikoura, I noticed a caravan selling crab on the side of the road, we wanted to turn around to have a look and then Gee spotted another little caravan - this time selling crayfish. It was called Nin's Bin Crayfish and looked really busy so we thought we would stop in and have a look. What we had stumbled upon was a make-shift fish and chip shop selling the best and the biggest crayfish I have ever seen! We chose a small one between us and waited, chatting to bikers and other tourists who had also stopped in. The crayfish we ate was by far the best crayfish that I have ever had, and possibly the best meal that we had had in ages! In Nin's we heard rumours of a wild seal colony just up the coast, so we set off to have a nosy and found a huge colony sheltering from the storm. They were beautiful and we stayed for a while just watching them in the rain. It seems the best moments are unplanned.
Later that day we were crossing on the ferry up to the North Island from Picton, as advised by fellow travellers, we only booked a place for Percy and one passenger. This meant due to Gee's claustrophobia that It would be me hiding in one of our storage compartments. However, when the time came to hide the space was far too small for a person, even a little one like me! so instead, we piled all of our belongings to the back on the van and I hid beneath them. It was very hot and I started to panic when Gee was only given two boarding passes (one yellow and one purple) which we assumed meant one person on and one person off. Luckily for us both passes were taken from Gee as we boarded the ferry, meaning I didn't have to stay in the van for the entirety of the journey!
Here are my last photos of the South Island!
Lots of Love,
Clementine x
Nin's Bin
The wild seal colony!
It's raining... it's pouring!
Me - hidden beneath our stuff!



No comments:
Post a Comment