Saturday, 19 July 2014

Surfers Paradise - 6th to the 9th of June

Hello,

My next destination after Brisbane was Surfers Paradise, a popular stop for travellers on the East Coast as it's known for being 'party central'. I had been persuaded to stay at Budds Hostel as this was where one of my besties from back home, Joe, was living. So I made the trek fom the bus stop to Budds, which seemed to take forever, with all my stuff only to arrive and find out they have a pick up service - if you call them in advance (sigh). However, my little ramble had given me the chance to see a little bit of Sufers... and I didn't like it.

To me, on first glance, Surfers seemed like a sort of tacky version of Miami. Neon lights on cars, boy racers and scantily clad girls tottering in their overly-high heels. My opinion of Surfers changed dramatically when I reached Budds - the people that live and work there are welcoming, friendly and hilarious (mostly).

My first trip to the infamous beach blew me away... how could a beach be that big? It seemed to go on forever! So without any proper guidance I had no idea where to begin with putting my towel down and whapping out the sun ceam so I meandered towards one of the designated swimming areas and plonked myself down in the crowd. These were my sort of people... determined to sunbath even if the wind was bitingly cold. I didn't last very long but I felt that I had done my time.


My nights out in Surfers lived up to expectations but only because of Joe's lovely friends who had me cracking up with laughter from the first minute and looked after me until the end (Ellis and Sam). We danced the nights away in bars, clubs and even a hotel party. In the end, I even got asked out on a date... what backpacker would say no to free food? I joke, I didn't just go for the free fish and chips!






All in all, my trip to Surfers was a success and I was genuinely sad to leave. Catching up with Joe reminded me that although I am on the other side of the world meeting amazing new people, my friends back home are the best. Honestly, I miss you all. Plus, it doesn't hurt that he's so easy on the eye!


Lots of Love,

Clementine x




No comments:

Post a Comment