Friday, 27 June 2014

Townsville and Magnetic Island - 19th to the 21st of May

Hi,

I am finally back writing about my East Coast journey! Sorry for the delay!

When I last spoke to you all I had just left Cairns after my Camper Vanning up North and was heading on a bus down to Townsville. I had decided to skip the stop off at the famous "Mission Beach" as its main attraction is Sky Diving, something I have already done on this trip and thus can't afford to do  again, and head down to the next stop. Arriving at the docks of Townsville was, it's fair to say, a little creepy. It was late at night when the bus pulled up and only I got off - meaning I was standing alone at the closed ferry terminal wondering how I was supposed to feet over to Magnetic Island (my destination). It was cold and windy on the open pier but slowly and surely other potential ferry passengers started to appear and sit with me in the dark. However, there was light at the end of the tunnel - literally - as bright lights got closer and closer out on the open water. A ferry had arrived! We clambered on with backpacks, suitcases, briefcases and the like, and settled down for the 20 minute journey over to Magnetic Island. Now, I have never been sea sick before but there's a first for everything and this was it for me. Those 20 minutes must be some of the worst I have had at sea and I was extremely grateful to have my feet back on solid ground when we reached our destination. I was here - Magnetic Island, the sunniest place in Queensland!


I stayed in the Base Backpackers hostel, one of the few hostels on the Island and my far the most infamous for it's parties. Whilst staying at Base I met Kaelyn Kamp, a hilarious Canadian who I spent the majority of my time with whilst there. Unfortunately, none of the photos taken by us are appropriate for this blog and therefore I have stolen her profile picture of her Facebook so you guys can know what she looks like. Not only did we become friends (we're even classed as 'married' online) but we also became team mates in the Bar Wars competition where we kicked some butt. One of the funniest things I have ever seen was Kaelyn full on flooring during one of the races - she still got up and carried on running. Pretty Good effort.



I did do some adventurous things whilst on Magnetic Island including taking a walk in the national park and diving the world famous Yongala shipwreck. The dive which is still classed as in the Barrier Reef must be one of the best dives I have done yet. The SS Yongala which sank in the early 20th Century during a cyclone remained unfound on the sea floor for over 50 years. The coral encrusted wreck is home to a vast array of marine life including sea snakes, turtles and rays. To me it seemed like the Chelsea Flower Show but under water. I failed to take my camera with me for this dive but I have snatched a photo from a friend so that you can have insight.


And that's it! Only a short post this time in afraid. After diving I then took the ferry back to the mainland before catching my next bus to Airlie Beach. But here are some lovely pictures from the less stomach turning ferry on the way back to Townsville.!





Lots of Love,

Clementine x

No comments:

Post a Comment